Oct 28, 2009

Skin problems

I have developed an ugly and painful fever blister on my bottom lip.  First time.  What's up with me and what can I do about it?  It looks unsightly for work! - Janine, California.

Hi Janine - it's a sign that either your immune system is down or your lips have been exposed to the harsh sun (can you recall being in the midday sun without lipstick/cover recently?).  I would strongly suggest that you take high doses of Vitamin B and get yourself some fever-blister ointment from the pharmacy.  It will help with the pain and swelling.  The sooner you start with these ointments, the better - so from now on, keep one in your first-aid box.  This is Herpes Simplex and as it is a virus, it has to run it's course so count on a week at least for your fever-blister to dissipate entirely.  You can try using some concealer when you go to work.  Fever blisters are not easy to hide but it all depends on the size.


I have dark puffy circles under my eyes which make me look older than I am and people are always telling me that I look tired.  Is there anything I can do about them?  - Gwen, Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa.

Gwen, sometimes these are hereditary.  Do the other members of your family have the same problem - for example, your mother?  If so, this could by why and the only route to go to get rid of this problem forever would be blepharoplasty , a cosmetic surgery procedure.  If, however, you have a lot of allergic reactions, you may find that your eyes are puffy because of this.  Don't use feather sleeping pillows, use dust-mite spray in your home and exclude whatever you could be allergic to.  Believe it or not, another cause of puffy under-eyes can be from lying down too much.  If you are a chronic pain sufferer and spend more time lying down than the average person, this could be the problem.  You need to visit your pharmacy and purchase some cooling eye gel to apply regularly and ensure that any concealer you use has a yellow base - one that is especially made for under-eye shadow concealing.  It wouldn't harm you to consult your doctor about the problem to rule out any underlying health problems.







 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Asking Judy