Sep 21, 2009

Teenage Runaway

Hi Judy, I have a teenage son, who is giving me tremendous problems. He is 14 years of age and keeps running away causing us endless problems. I'm a single Mother and his father doesn't have much to do with him. What can should I do about him?" I'm frantic and can't sleep at night as I worry about him and I feel helpless. Frantic, California


Dear Frantic

The teens are a very difficult time for everyone - emotionally and physically trying. Your teen is going through huge hormonal changes which make him moody, restless and behave in irrational ways.
You do need to find out why he is running away. Just ask him. You may be surprised or shocked at his answer. I had a teen run away to avoid severe corporal punishment at school.

Once you have a reason for his running away, you can work on fixing things. If all else fails, get a family member he respects to have a chat to him - he needs to know how much pain and worry his behaviour is causing you and also that it is dangerous. The minister of your church or a social worker is also a possibility.

I hope this helps you and let me know how it's going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Asking Judy