Nov 18, 2009

Postnatal Depression

Hi Judy, I gave birth five months ago and instead of being immensely happy (as I imagined I would be) - I find myself feeling sad about the loss of my pregnancy, all the attention I received and am feeling isolated at home.  Some days I even feel suicidal!  Can you help? - Samantha, Johannesburg, SA


Hello Samantha
What you are suffering from is PND (post-natal depression).  Please see your general practitioner right away and don't delay.  He may decide to help you by prescribing anti-depressants to carry you over this period of your life.  In any case - here are some people who can assist you in your region:
Post-Natal Depression Support Association (PNDSA) - Tel 082-882-0072 or visit them at this website where you can receive a list of support groups in your area.

Family Life Centre, Johannesburg - Tel (011) 833-2057
The toll-free suicide hotline in South Africa is 0800-567-567. 


Judy, what are the symptoms of post-natal depression?  I am almost certain that my daughter is suffering from it.  - Caroline, Cape Town

Hi Caroline - I'll give it to you in a bullet list for easy reference:
  • Feeling anxious and/or irritable
  • A melancholy feeling for no apparent reasons, especially on waking up
  • Being unable to sleep even when the baby sleeps through the night
  • Feeling of lethargy and disinterest in things which were formerly enjoyable
  • Being unable to cope and enjoy the new role of motherhood and/or even the baby
  • Change in appetite
  • Panic attacks
  • Suicidal thoughts
Caroline, if you suspect PND in your daughter, speak to her without delay and encourage her to seek help.  
See above for details and here are two extra forms of assistance for PND:
The Parent Centre, Cape Town (021) 762-0116
Linda Lewis, a psychologist who runs a PND support group (021) 685-6172
The toll-free suicide hotline in South Africa is 0800-567-567. 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Asking Judy